University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut


2014-2015 Financial Aid Application Information for Undergraduate Students

September – October 2013

  • Begin searching for scholarships. All students are encouraged to contact local civic organizations, religious affiliations, high school guidance offices, and libraries for possible scholarship opportunities. Click here for a list of scholarship websites. Information about University of Connecticut Merit Scholarships is also available.

November – December 2013

  • Begin collecting the documents needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), including income tax returns and W-2 forms (and other records of income). A full list of what you need is available at
    NOTE: For Spanish speaking families, access the site and select Español.
  • If you are planning to apply for financial aid, it is imperative that you provide a valid Social Security Number during the admission process. This will help to ensure the timely processing of your FAFSA.
  • Students, as well as parents of dependent students, must have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in order to sign the FAFSA electronically. Go to to apply for a PIN for you and/or your parent.

January – February 2014

  • If you and/or your parent have not received your Personal Identification Number (PIN) by January 1, please go to to request one.
    REMINDER: Parents of dependent students must also have a PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA.
  • The FAFSA cannot be submitted until after January 1 of the year you will be entering college. Students entering in the 2014-2015 academic year should complete the FAFSA on the Web at as soon as possible after January 1, 2014. Using FAFSA on the Web is faster and easier than using paper. However, if you don’t have Internet access you can get a paper FAFSA from the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
    NOTE: Students must complete a FAFSA each academic year. The FASFA must be submitted to the Federal Processor on or before March 1 of each year to be considered on time.
  • The FAFSA is a required document used to determine a student’s eligibility for federal, state, and University aid, such as Pell grants, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Work-Study, etc. Complete and file only one FAFSA per student, although the results may be sent to several schools.
  • On Step 6 of the FAFSA, regardless of the campus you will attend, list the University of Connecticut and Federal School Code 001417. Record the college address as 233 Glenbrook Road, Storrs, CT. If you have any questions regarding the FAFSA, contact the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243.
  • To be considered on time at UConn, you must submit your FAFSA by March 1, 2014. The awarding of most forms of University of Connecticut financial assistance is reserved for applications received and logged in by the federal processor on or before this on time application deadline. Please note that all awards are based upon funds availability. Do not wait for final income tax figures. Complete the FAFSA using estimated 2013 income figures, if necessary, to meet the on time application deadline.

March 2014 – April 2014

  • The student should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically or in the mail within 1-3 weeks after submission of the FAFSA. If the FAFSA was filed using estimated figures, contact our office for instructions on how to make corrections. If actual IRS figures were used, check the SAR to make sure there are no errors. If you listed UConn on the FAFSA, we will receive the results electronically. Retain the SAR for your records. Your complete, correct SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)—the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility.
  • If the SAR has not been received within four weeks, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-4FEDAID (800-433-3243) to determine if your application has been processed.
  • If your SAR indicates that there are issues with your FAFSA information that needs to be resolved before your eligibility can be determined, make the adjustments following the instructions on the Student Aid Report (SAR). Contact our office after you receive your valid SAR.
  • After being formally admitted to UConn and issued a University email account, you should expect to receive an email in your account from UConn’s Office of Student Financial Aid Services when your financial aid awards are ready to be viewed via the Student Administration System. You will then access the Student Administration System and complete all steps on the Financial Aid Action Page. Click on the Student Help Link for assistance. Be sure to print a copy of the page for your records.
  • Continuing students will receive their notifications between April and August.
  • Awards for newly entering undergraduates are based on your FAFSA information, but are considered “estimates” until the federal verification process is completed (if required). Each year, the Federal Department of Education selects certain Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs) for verification. Click here for additional information. The Student Aid Report (SAR) you receive from the federal processor will indicate if you have been selected for verification. Do not submit income tax forms unless requested to do so by the Office of Student Financial Aid Services.
  • Please respond promptly to information requests from our office, and do not submit income tax forms unless requested by us. The preferred method to send requested documents is to fax them to 860-486-6629. Financial aid awards may be adjusted as a result of the verification process. You will receive an email in your University email account if there are any changes to your financial awards. You must access the Student Administration System to view any changes. Continuing student awards are processed after all requested information is received.


  • To ensure billing accuracy, report all awards you receive (outside scholarships, grants, etc.) not included on the Financial Aid Action Page. Your financial aid package may be adjusted as a result of these awards.

May 2014 – July 2014

  • Search online for on and off campus student jobs at
  • Complete the Financial Aid Worksheet to determine if a balance is due.  If so, arrange to cover the balance using the University’s Installment Payment Plan, a Federal Direct PLUS Loan or a private (alternative) student loan.
  • If a parent is interested in borrowing a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, have them complete an application at This will be available June.
  • All Federal Perkins Loan borrowers at UConn must complete a Master Promissory Note before the Federal Perkins Loan will be credited to their University fee bill. All Federal Stafford Loan borrowers at UConn must complete a Master Promissory Note with the Federal Direct Loan Program. First-time Federal Stafford Loan borrowers at UConn must also complete Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling before loan funds will be applied to their University fee bill.
  • Make arrangements to cover any remaining fee bill balance. The University of Connecticut offers an Installment Payment Plan. Consider financing all or a portion of your expenses using this tool. Additional information about the plan can be found on the Bursar’s website
  • If a parent is interested in borrowing a Federal Direct PLUS loan, the student should accept the PLUS loan eligibility award in the financial aid package. The parent will then need to visit to complete a Federal Direct PLUS loan application, have a credit check completed, and if approved and a first time PLUS loan borrower, complete the Master Promissory note as well.
  • If additional loan funds are required to meet educational expenses, visit our website for further information regarding alternative financing options. To allow adequate processing time, alternative loans should be applied for directly with the selected lender 30-60 days prior to the fee bill due date.
  • Information on UConn’s Installment Payment Plan is available at

August 2014

University fee bills are due. If all financial aid requirements have been met, deduct any financial aid not already reflected on your fee bill from the amount due, and pay the balance remaining on/before the due date. Use the pre-addressed envelope provided by the Bursar’s Office. Questions regarding the fee bill and/or deferments may be addressed by visiting the Bursar’s website or by contacting their office directly at 860.486.4830.

November 2014

The U.S. Department of Education will send Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) in preparation for the 2015-2016 application process. If a PIN has not been received by January 1, please go to to request one.